Self Referrals




You can self refer to many different local health services as below:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Adult Psychological services
  • Children Mental Health services
  • Immediate Medical Care to help prevent hospital admissions
  • Unwanted Pregnancy
  • Addiction problems for alcohol and drugs
  • Bereavement counseling
  • Stop Smoking
  • Speech and Language therapy for children
  • Falls Prevention service
  • Eye problems
  • Accessing Help for Children with Difficulties
  • Pharmacist
  • Health Visitors
  • School Nurses
  • District Nurses

Physiotherapy and other musculoskeletal assessments

If you are suffering from muscular or joint pains, Connect, a Darlington Musculoskeletal service brings together specialist musculoskeletal (MSK) clinicians to assess, diagnose and manage your condition at  Dr Piper House. Connect treats MSK conditions involving bones, soft tissues, muscles, joints and ligaments.

The clinical team includes specialist musculoskeletal clinicians who can provide comprehensive assessments and a range of treatments (such as physiotherapy) and management plans.

Image of a physiotherapist helping a patient

Speak to one of their Patient Care Advisors, who will be happy to help.


Image of a psychologist with a patient

Adult psychological services

Talking changes is a self-help and talking therapies service designed to help anyone living in the County Durham and Darlington area to deal with common mental health problems such as stress, anxiety or depression, as well as panic phobias obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and post traumatic stress disorder.

Patients can self refer calling the Talking Changes team or online via the Talking Changes website:


Children mental health services

If you have any concerns regarding the mental health of your children then please refer directly to the CAMHS services.

To contact the team:

A phone assessment should occur within 24 hours or they will offer a face to face assessment in 5 days.

An image of a child being comforted

If there is a crisis situation there will be a response time of under 4 hours - in this situation the number to call is 0191 4415733 (this service runs 24 hour a day, 7 days a week).


Immediate Medical Care to help prevent hospital admission

Intermediate care (known as RIACT in Darlington) is a term used to describe a range of health and social care services available to adults 18 years old and over. These services are designed to:

  • Prevent inappropriate hospital admissions.
  • Promote faster recovery from illness or injury.
  • Avoid inappropriate admission to a long term care home.
  • Facilitate timely hospital discharge.
  • Promote independence, health and well being.
  • Provide care at, or close to home.

If necessary they can offer same-day assessment for provision of care, for patients with potential for rehabilitation team includes occupational therapist district nursing social support and physiotherapy. To access their services:


Unwanted Pregnancy

Patients can self-refer (totally confidentially) for termination of pregnancy by telephoning 01388 455333.  

There is an alternative number of 01388 455110 which is Ward 10 at BAGH (nurses) if you are unable to get through on the other number.


Addiction problems for alcohol, drugs and gambling

If you are 18 years or older and have drug or alcohol misuse or a gambling habit please consider contacting NECA (North East Counselling and Addictions Service).

Alternatively please attend NECA at:

John Dobbin House
158-166 Northgate

  • Monday: 9.00 am - 7:00 pm
  • Tuesday to Friday: 9.00 am - 4.30 pm

Image of a person being comforted

Bereavement counselling

If you would like to receive help and support following a bereavement, then please consider contacting Cruse Bereavement Counselling. They are based at:

2 Maude Street

There is a drop in service every Monday 2pm - 4pm, where no appointment is necessary - although it is advisable to telephone them on 01325 288633. Cruse also have a very informative website.

You may also wish to consider St Teresa's Hospice who have a Family Support & Bereavement Service which looks after the emotional and practical needs of those left behind when someone dies after a terminal illness. They are there to help you through this difficult time.


Speech and Language therapy for children

The service works with children and young people from birth to 19 years old who have speech, language and communication needs or difficulties with eating, drinking and swallowing.

To contact them for help:

Image of a group of children being read a story


Accessing help for children with difficulties

Occupational Therapy within County Durham and Darlington helps children and young people to participate as fully as possible in daily activities. They work with children and young people from birth up to 19 years of age who have difficulties or a disability which affects their ability to carry out everyday tasks. If you have a child or young person who has learning, sensory or physical difficulties, please consider contacting the service. They can see children and young people within a variety of settings, including nurseries, schools, special schools and their home.


Falls prevention service

The service includes specialist nurses, occupational therapists and physiotherapists. If you have had a fall, feel you are at risk of falling, or are concerned about an older person you know, please contact the falls and osteoporosis services on 01325 342111.


Image of a patient having their eyes tested

Eye problems

If you have had a recent problem with your eyes – such as sore eyes, red eyes or visual disturbance – you can be assessed and treated by the local Minor Eye Conditions Service.

This is a free NHS service available from a number of local opticians. See their website for more information on what conditions are covered, which opticians offer the service, and how to book an appointment.



The pharmacists at any pharmacies will provide advice to anyone, and can also issue medication for minor ailments for children free of charge.


Health Visitors

For advice on children aged under 5 years please telephone 03000 030013.


School Nurses

For advice on school aged children please telephone 03000 030013.


District Nurses

If you need to speak to the district nursing team please telephone 01325 746222.